Re: [tlug] Using autoresponse

Godwin Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:45:01 +0900, SM <somamedia@??> wrote:

I been ask to use mail - auto-response to manage some kind of
campaign, the idea is to send an e-mail (empty) to an e-mail account
and the sender gets an immediate reply,

The sender, or the person whose address was forged into the mail headers?

I'd assume the latter, anything else would probably be quite tricky to implement, and prone to a lot of errors.
As soon as the e-mail address used for this purpose is discovered or
guessed by spammers, your system is going to be sending out the
autoresponses to people who never asked for your prizes, or, worse
still, information that they've been added to a list of some kind. That
would be nothing but spam. Don't do it.
Why would you assume that people/spammers/bots would send emails with forged headers to an address like this?

If the system accepts any emails, but drops the incoming email body and just sends a response back I don't see how it can be used to spam for anyone else than the system owner. If there is no affiliate program connected to this I can't see any sensible incentive for forging addresses onto the list at all, except for pure vandalism.

This seems like twist on a quite normal way of building a list of email addresses, give people a chance of winning in exchange for some kind of personal information. Whether that is later used for legitimate purposes or spam is of course another question all together, but the technology used to collect the addresses can not be blamed for that.

kind regards,
-sig