Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:45:14 +0000
> From: "Mark Makdad" <mark@??>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?
> To: "Tokyo Linux Users Group" <tlug@??>
>
> On 2/11/07, Scott Robbins <scottro@??> wrote:
> > I had no problems with the Gentoo Live CD and this was awhile ago--I
> > believe everyone but Ubuntu fixed it shortly after it
> happened.  (Ok,
> > NOW, I'm being petty--but it's so much fun.)   The nice thing about
> > LiveCDs is that they don't take long to try.
>
> Yes, I am currently typing this message from the Gentoo LiveCD.
> Download to execution in less than 30 minutes.

<snip>

<snip>

> But this time around I'm serious about learning.  In my job I speak
> with a lot of UNIX SAs, and I realize just how far I've fallen behind
> (the more technical posts on this list don't help my complex, either).
>  Maybe I am a masochist, but I do prefer the "advanced" distributions
> even if I'm not.  So I guess I'm in for the learning.
>
> I think in the short term, I've decided on Ubuntu.  Gentoo seems good
> too, so I'll report back -- if I have video problems, I'll try this
> instead.
>
> Mark

Well, just so you know you have already stated the two most important requirements to be a candidate for Gentoo.  :-)  Download to execution in 30 minutes means you have a decent network connection.  That is requirement #1 in most cases, unless you are a TOTAL masochist.

Potential masochistic tendencies is number two.

I use xubuntu, and like it, but I think Gentoo is great too.  I love the concept of a source based distro.  ^_^

Xubuntu is nice (assuming you don't run into the video glitch).  It is streamlined, and will run smooth on a lot of the older hardware.  :-)

Also, I have seen cases where the 32 bit version detected everything fine, and the 64 bit version had issues, so unless you need the extra umf that you might get out of a 64 bit install, you won't notice much difference. ^_^