Re: [tlug] Linux on Japanese TV News

On Jan 27, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Roger Markus wrote:

On 1/26/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> the focus was very much on the civil servants using OOo in the City
> Hall. The head of tech there is holding plenty of workshops to help
> the workers get used to the new interface.

Wow.  They must have *nice* machines.  I find OOo unbearably slow,
even compared to MS Office on a 1GHz Mac; I can't imagine trying to
use it to Do Real Work.

You must must be using some real junk for computers! OpenOffice opens in about 8 seconds on my four-year-old early P-IV box. Don't forget that Microsoft pre-loads MS-Office by default, which eats system resources but does provide for faster opening, as it should, since it's always running in the background! OpenOffice (a vastly superior product), gives the user the option to have it running in the background or no. I have chosen to do so actually, which is why it only needs eight seconds to open.

You should get a new(er) computer (four years old or newer) and stop bad-mouthing OpenOffice!

he speaks about using a Mac - and if he's using Mac OS X, unfortunately I have to say that he's right. The available portages aren't really an option imho to MS Office. They are slow (and MS Office doesn't preload on Mac OS X afaik) and they are even less "Mac- like" as MS Office is.
On a Linux- or Windows-machine I would prefer usually Open Office…

Niels