[tlug] Linux on Japanese TV News

Since no one else has posted on this, I guess I will. On Close-Up ç ä Tuesday or Wednesday night, the topic was the recent government move to reduce dependency on çåããã (monopoly software). They went to one local government in someplace in Japan (forgot where) that is using Novell Linux on the workstations in the City Hall. They are using OOo, but they still have to have one Windows machine in each department because documents from the national government agencies does not always open on Linux.

The reporting was very much focused on the movement toward open document formats, and they stated that MS Japan promised to make Office compatible with open doc within months. The program also made very clear the advantages of using open document formats that can be used in Windows, MacOS, and Linux environments. It was quite interesting to see how they made the subject easy to understand, and the focus was very much on the civil servants using OOo in the City Hall. The head of tech there is holding plenty of workshops to help the workers get used to the new interface.

All in all, it was completely positive about Linux, and it really made Linux, and even more so OOo, look like something that the viewer really needs to look into. I am sure that this will prompt smaller organizations to look into using OOo, if on Windows at first.