[tlug] Lost my Nvidia driver somehow

TLUG,

As mentioned in another thread, I had installed a newer kernel as an experiment.

This morning I had to do some actual work, and decided to reboot and return to my previous, nicely working kernel, 2.6.17.7.

And then X wouldn't start. No big deal, I thought. I'll just re-install it.

But it keeps giving me this error:

The kernel header file '/lib/modules/2.6.17.7/build/include/linux/version.h' does not exist.
The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/lib/modules/2.6.17.7/build' have not been configured.

So I guess I somehow went and munged my old kernel when putting in the new one. And then, I discovered upon going back to my newer kernel install, Nvidia wasn't working there either.

At this point, I decided I want to stop playing around and go home to my 2.6.17.7 kernel.

Got on my girlfriend's laptop and looked around the net. I read on one web page that I should run this:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc xserver-xorg-dev pkg-config

But it says:
E: couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.17.7

Argh.

How do I get my environment back to where it was?

--
Dave M G