Re: [tlug] Computer "fixed" with Linux

Curt,

Thanks for responding.
Just as a note: AVI is a container, not a codec. The video content
within the AVI container could be encoded with any of a number of
codecs. The same goes for the audio.

Yes, I'm aware of this distinction. I didn't mean to say that one should download an AVI codec, but that one should download all codecs related to AVI.

If you ever decide to do
a similar conversion experiment with office software, I'm sure we'd all
love to hear the result.

I'm not sure what you mean. I use OpenOffice for all office related tasks, including opening Microsoft Office documents. I worked on one project where I was collaborating with a team of 4 other people, all of whom were using Microsoft Office, and for the entire year, no one ever knew I wasn't using MS Office.

Also, there is no experiment here. I set my girlfriend up with Linux, she's using it, the situation is done.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Kernel 2.6.17.7