Re: [tlug] Computer "fixed" with Linux

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:12:16PM +0900, Guillaume Proux wrote:
> Hello,

> It would be nice if somebody could give a good example of
> configuration for the evil codecs out there. I also converted a friend
> to Ubuntu but he keeps getting issue with websites (such as
> gametrailers.com) that has a lot of embedded video. Seemingly Totem is
> still far from being a good replacement for Windows Media Player or
> Quicktime.

    My personal experience with trying to get ANY Linux distro to play
seamlessly with _streaming_ Quicktime and Windows Media Player has been
very negative. [1]   While it is usually possible to find some way to
coax mplayer/vlc/sometool to pull the stream directly if you dig it out
of the webpage the ability to play it seamlessly inside Firefox was such
a hassle I never bothered.

    Here's my quick sheet for what works and isn't that bad to configure
and what doesn't:

Yes
  o Flash (Video too)
  o Realvideo, Realaudio

Nope
  o Windows Media
  o Quicktime

    I'm sure someone on this list probably will tell me this is not true
at all and tell me how wrong I am.  In which case, I'd like to hear
your recipe for getting this to work (distro-specific is fine) easily, please.

Alain
[1] I don't consider this 'wget -O streaming_media.avi http://somesite/file.avi
&& mplayer file.avi' an acceptable solution