Re: To package or not to package (Was: [tlug] Well now I'm hosed - Dapper/Edgy died)

On 18/01/07, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

Arch (which gives you the best of
both worlds--you can use the binary packages or use their PKGBUILDS
which are similar to ebuilds but simpler to write) gives the option of
installing a binary package with no dependencies to work around that
problem.

I meant to mention in my previous mail that Gentoo also allows you to use binary packages, which is very nice when you have multiple machines of the same architecture that you want set up the same way. The difference between Gentoo binary packages and RPMs (or .debs) is that you know how those binary packages were built, and if you want to change something, all you have to do is leave the binary package switch (-k) off your emerge command. :)

Your point, that dependency problems can occur in source-based
distros, is a valid one. I just find that source-based distros give
you the tools to easily resolve them, whereas with binary-only
distros, you are at the mercy of the packager.

-Josh