Re: [tlug] Well now I'm hosed - Dapper/Edgy died

On 1/17/07, Sigurd Urdahl <sigurdur@example.com> wrote:
I'd at least consider removing a few packages and then taking them back
in when the system starts to behave. Dump the list of installed packages
to a file with

    dpkg --get-selections > selections_pre_fix.txt

and then start to remove big non-system packages that complain
(openoffice, mythtv) with "apt-get remove" og "dpkg -r" (do use -r,
-p/--purge will remove config files, -r will not). And keep a list of
which packages get removed. You can later re-install them and they
should catch up the old config files.

Then try to run the updates with "apt-get -f install" and "apt-get update".

I can't promise you this will fix things, but at least where I think I'd
start if it where my system:-)

I have a similar experience. During the various upgrades in Debian or Ubuntu, as a casual user I have come across dependency problems a few times.

Sometimes a simple "apt-get install -f" as you did suffices to resolve
the problems.

But when it doesn't, until now I managed to upgrade my system by
removing problematic packages (I did not know advanced commands so I
simply wrote down the package names on a memo), redo a "apt-get
install -f" and "apt-get upgrade", and later reinstalling them.

I have never had this problem, but you should also be careful of not
removing packages that are essential for your system.

Evan