To package or not to package (Was: [tlug] Well now I'm hosed - Dapper/Edgy died)

Godwin Stewart wrote:
[..]
Dave, I know this comment doesn't help you, but your current
predicament with circular dependencies is the main reason I cannot
abide package-based distros. You will run into the same problem with
any one of the dozens there are available, regardless of the package
management system they employ, be it apt, rpm, yum, whatever.

One of these days I'm going to write a document advocating source-based
distros. Would you allow me to use this posting of yours as an example
of why package-based distros can be so frustrating?

Godwin, could you elaborate a bit more on why you believe source-based distros are better than package based?

Personally I have very limited experience with source-based distros, but I have been using package based distros both privately and proffesionally for quite some time now (privately close to 10 years, professionally for 6).

I have seen circular dependencies create problems, but only been bitten by it a couple of times. And it's always been solvable, and I believe it's been at least partly as an effect of not running the distro cleanly, but adding extra packages from "external sources".

I find it very valuable to have well functioning package system in my distros. Under normal circumstances I don't have to think about dependencies, they're automagically solved. Upgrades are usually flawless and take little effort from me. In production environments I always run stable versions of distros, thus fixes are backported, and the interface between the program and it's environment (the users, the other packages, me - the sysadmin) stays unchanged. I can keep my systems up to date with little risk or work.

In major upgrades I seldomly see problems with any of the distro native packages (anything brought in from other sources have a risk of breaking). Usually I am conservative on major upgrades, I wait for other people to test it first, run the upgrade on a test system, read up on the doc, and usually start with base stuff (glibc, package system) before upgrading the general system.

Of course my private systems and workstations get a treatment that is rougher, a lot more aimed at fun, ease of use and an abundance of silly features, but then again they don't have heavy SLA's:-)

Should a transition to source based distros make my life easier as a sysadmin? Would I have more fun as a desktop user?

kind regards, -sig