Re: Bourne Shell is the most appropriate scripting language (was Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language)

On 16/01/07, Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com> wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:05:38 -0500
Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> which is why I wrote:
>
> > Portability is a good thing, so write according to the Bourne shell.
> > It's the most standard.

By which you mean #!/bin/bash

He probably meant #!/bin/sh, actually. I don't use any bash-isms in my shell scripts specifically to avoid the situation you described, where my scripts won't run on other Unices.

-Josh