Re: [tlug] What is the most appropriate scripting language

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:50:11 +0900, "Guillaume Proux"
<gproux@example.com> wrote:

> It might shock an old timer but I would recommand a total beginner to
> write scripts in Python instead of one of the shell dialect.

I'd disagree.

You're already using "bash" dialect the second you start using a
console on most distros. In fact I don't know any Linux distro that
sets up a shall other than bash by default - obviously, nothing's to
stop the user changing their default shell, but that's another issue.

So, if you're already familiar with bash then why not use precisely
that to automate basic tasks? I've recently released a couple of tools
to help manage multiple usb-storage devices, and I heavily automate the
process of backing up my DVD-Videos - all with bash scripting. It's far
more capable than people often think, and it definitely runs circles
round the M$ "batch" interpreter.

Why learn yet something else?

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
               -- Charles Duell, Director of U.S. Patent Office, 1899