[tlug] Command line way to wake up, and put to sleep, the screen?

TLUG,

If I leave my computer for a while, my monitors go into power saving mode. I believe that first Ubuntu initiates its screen saver, which makes my screen go black after an hour of no use, and then the monitor, sensing no signal, goes into power saving mode.

I'm not sure about that process, so don't quote me, but it's something like that.

What I can't find information on, though, is if there are any commands I can run at the command line to instantly initiate the screen saver (turn the screen blank), and/or if I can send a signal to the monitors to go into power save mode.

I'm hoping for some commands that I can pass to irexec so that I can turn the monitors on or off (or at least make them go black) with my remote control.

Any thoughts on what such a command might be or where I might find it?

Thanks for any advice or information.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS