Re: [tlug] SATA software RAID or SAS hardware RAID?

Curt Sampson writes:

 > I was making a comparison between, "few, expensive, components
 > specialized for speed and reliability," and "lots of cheap
 > components."

And you first strongly implied, and then explicitly confirmed when
asked, that anybody who goes the "few expensive components" route has
sand in their head instead of transistors.

 > But for this particular case, someone appeared to be implying that
 > companies who have the money and need high reliability systems, such
 > as Akamai, go for specialized hardware.

Please reread what Jonathan and I wrote.  We provided examples, and in
my case I explicitly asked whether the decision in my example was a
mistake.  That hardly goes as a claim of generality in my book.

 > I was just pointing out that that's not the case, and is certainly
 > alone no argument for specialized hardware.

That may have been what you intended to do, but your words did
something quite different.  In fact they argued from "Google and
others" that there is no argument for specialized hardware at all.