Re: [tlug] SATA software RAID or SAS hardware RAID?

On Saturday 09 December 2006 23:49, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Sad to say, copper SCSI doesn't really offer much advantage these
> days.

Well, maybe one: SCSI disks are still more reliable than [PS]ATA disks,
although those have gotten so reliable that this my no longer be an
issue for most people.

Another is that you can put several SCSI devices on a cable and still
get good performance b/c the SCSI host adapter offloads the work from
the CPU. Serious server applications still tend toward SCSI (at my last
gig, we had 500+ quad-Xeon servers, all running SCSI hardware
accelerated RAID).

As you mentioned in an earlier post on this topic, the issue of
controller failure is something to think about. Hardware RAID is still
going to offer better performance than software RAID (not that software
is bad, though), but if the controller itself fails, that presents a
problem you don't have when running software RAID, and this problem
also presents itself if you want to upgrade controllers (vendor
lock-in).

If a controller fails and you don't have a spare, you need have very
current backups so that you can restore to a non-RAID disk and get back
in action. If you want to change vendors, you need to go that route as
well. Or if it's really mission critical, build a duplicate box and
mirror the data over.

With software RAID, you don't have this problem, and you also get a
performance upgrade anytime you upgrade your CPU.

My recommendation, then, like yours, would be that unless it's a very
disk-intensive application and the absolute best performance is needed,
go with software RAID. If you do need the absolute greatest performance
and reliability, I'd recommend hardware accelerated SCSI RAID. In that
case, when you choose a controller, buy two identical models. Install
one, build the RAID array, put a little data on it, then shut down the
machine and swap in the spare RAID card. Boot up, verify that
everything still works, you can access the data and it's identical. If
everything's OK, then put the first card back in the original packaging
and put it in a safe place in case the running one ever fails.

Jonathan