Re: [tlug] Syntax highlighting for XML Schema (XSD) files in XEmacs

Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>, 2006-11-24 12:19 +0900:

> On 24/11/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
>
> >If anybody is interested in actually doing work to support XEmacs
> >improvements in this area, I'm willing to trade code for almost
> >anything:
>
> I am very interesting in doing this work, mainly because I am very
> interested in my Emacs-of-choice, XEmacs, allowing me to Just Get My
> Work Done Damnit! ;)

If you wanted to try to see if there are others who might be
interested in trading some work, one place to ask might be the
nxml-mode mailing list:

I would guess there are a few people on that list who would really
like to see nxml-mode working in XEmacs.

I guess I should mention that the person who created nxml-mode,
James Clark, worked on it relatively actively at times over the
space of a couple years (implementing a number of feature requests
that were discussed on the list). But he has since sort of
disappeared almost completely from online discussions. (He seems
to do that every few years or so.) Nobody else has sinced stepped
in to take over maintenance on it. So it's still missing a few
features that many people working with it would like for it to
have (mostly some convenience features that PSGML provides).

But even lacking those, it's a really powerful tool for editing
XML. What sets it apart is the capability it has for marking
validity errors and well-formedness errors in real time.  If you
edit a document in nxml-mode, you basically never need to do a
separate pass or post-processing to validate it or to make sure
it's well-formed.

  --Mike