[tlug] help regarding japanese fonts in redhat 9 Shrike

For the OS  Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686

Can anyone tell me which is the best way to enable japanese fonts both input and display.

I tried scim-anthy, anthy, scim, kinput, almost all the steps mentioned in the following link
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html but still i am unable to input and not even fonts are visible in terminals textpads anywhere.

Also any one has idea about the best ide for cobol on Linux, couldnt install TinyCobol, tried eclipse lemo plugin, any link online which can explain the cobol editor n tutorials

Thanks in advance
vamsi