[tlug] Displaying UTF8 strings in gdb inside Emacs

Josh Glover writes:

 > But trying the same trick in Emacs's (GNUmacs, sorry, I can't get this
 > guy to switch to a *real* Emacs flavour) gdb mode did not work. We
 > started Emacs like so:
 >
 > LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF8 LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 emacs
 > M-x gdb
 >
 > Any clues why this is not working?

Emacs is probably pissed at you because you told it to make the locale
ja_JP.UTF8 twice, and it heard you the first time!

What version of Emacs?  If he's using a released Emacs (21.x), he may
need to use Mule-UCS to get Japanese support in Unicode.  21.x doesn't
support Unicode out of the box IIRC.

See what M-x apropos RET coding-system RET turns up for variables and
check their values (this may not work, Stallman historically didn't
think users wanted to see *all* the symbols, only the ones they
normally use).  Try M-x describe-language-environment for the current
language environment.

 > We are using Emacs in console mode,

I assume your terminal can display Japanese in UTF-8?  (You said
printf worked from the console, so I assume it's the same, but just to
make sure.)  Possibly one or both of `terminal-coding-system' or
`process-coding-system' are not set to 'utf-8.