Re: [tlug] Displaying UTF8 strings in gdb inside Emacs

On 23/11/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover writes:

 > LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF8 LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 emacs
 > M-x gdb

Emacs is probably pissed at you because you told it to make the locale
ja_JP.UTF8 twice, and it heard you the first time!

Heh heh. I tried just LC_ALL first, and added LANG when that didn't work.

What version of Emacs?  If he's using a released Emacs (21.x), he may
need to use Mule-UCS to get Japanese support in Unicode.  21.x doesn't
support Unicode out of the box IIRC.

Yes, Emacs 21.x. Japanese works fine in Unicode in Emacs, after I applied Mike Fabian's init file special sauce from here:

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/emacs-and-xemacs.html

See what M-x apropos RET coding-system RET turns up for variables and
check their values (this may not work, Stallman historically didn't
think users wanted to see *all* the symbols, only the ones they
normally use).  Try M-x describe-language-environment for the current
language environment.

OK.

 > We are using Emacs in console mode,

I assume your terminal can display Japanese in UTF-8?

Yes.

Possibly one or both of `terminal-coding-system' or
`process-coding-system' are not set to 'utf-8.

default-process-coding-system's value is (utf-8 . utf-8) default-terminal-coding-system's value is utf-8

Hrm. Any other ideas?

-Josh