Re: [tlug] FTTH providers

Bruce wrote:
> McIntosh Bruce wrote:
>>> Other interesting options that are available via ASAHI Net is the
>>> IP Phone service,
>
> Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
>> That sounds pretty good. What kind of VoIP is this (SIP, IAX, other)?
>
> ASAHI Net's VoIP services uses SIP via one of NTT's VoIP Platforms.
> IP-Phone-C: NTT Communications
> IP-Phone-F: NTTME
> The sound quality I have gotten so far has been pretty good,
> charge to the US is 9 yen a minute.
> Plus, there is no start up or monthly charge for the service,
> you only pay for what you use, so for most people, it is not a bad way
> to go.
> If you can find a cheaper way to call great!
> Skype for example, is great, but I can't get my dad to download and/or
> install it....
>
> Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
>> Can you connect to this service with asterisk instead of a VoIP router?
>
> If your using BFLET's from NTT East, you basically have a raw connection.
> Some people have set up your own asterisk box this way,
> I wouldn't know how to advise you on that though.
> Vonage boxes also seem to work as well.

I was more interested in setting up asterisk to do Japan local call
through IP-Phone-F and international calls to Australia through my
Australian provider.  That would give me a local number in Australia and
Japan.  If it is just plain SIP without anything funny then it should be
fairly straightforward to setup.

Edward