Re: [tlug] FTTH providers

McIntosh Bruce wrote:
Other interesting options that are available via ASAHI Net is the
IP Phone service,

Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
That sounds pretty good. What kind of VoIP is this (SIP, IAX, other)?

ASAHI Net's VoIP services uses SIP via one of NTT's VoIP Platforms.
IP-Phone-C: NTT Communications
IP-Phone-F: NTTME
The sound quality I have gotten so far has been pretty good,
charge to the US is 9 yen a minute.
Plus, there is no start up or monthly charge for the service,
you only pay for what you use, so for most people, it is not a bad way to go.
If you can find a cheaper way to call great!
Skype for example, is great, but I can't get my dad to download and/ or install it....

Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
Can you connect to this service with asterisk instead of a VoIP router?

If your using BFLET's from NTT East, you basically have a raw connection.
Some people have set up your own asterisk box this way,
I wouldn't know how to advise you on that though.
Vonage boxes also seem to work as well.

Edward Middleton <edward@example.com> wrote:
Can you access other VoIP providers? (i.e. are other providers blocked)

The VoIP providers are mostly Japanese, so it is good for the Local communities and families of Japan.
I don't think it matters what ISP you are using, but if you are using the same VoIP Platform, then the call is free.
If you are using different VoIP Platforms, even if you are using the same ISP, there would be a charge, as the
call would be going from one VoIP Platform to another.
IP-Phone-C: List of affiliated VoIP Platforms
https://asahi-net.jp/en/service/ipphone-c/provider2.html

IP-Phone-F: List of affiliated VoIP platforms
   https://asahi-net.jp/en/service/ipphone-f/provider2.html

Bruce