Re: [tlug] Screen resolutions with 64MB

stephen@example.com writes:

 > No, they haven't.

Er, that sounds a little more like a blanket denial than I intended.
Sorry.....

The point is that it's a hard problem, it took huge amounts of effort
from many more companies (eg, my brother took a lot of heat from
midlevel shirts at DEC regarding monitor compatibility with Windows,
and graphics cards are definitely harder than monitors) than just
Apple and Microsoft to solve for those OSes, and so it's not
surprising that free OSes don't do as well.

Personally I've never had a problem with --configure, oh, at least
back to XFree86 3.3.  (Except for keyboard damage, but you expect that
when the keys on the keyboard are incorrectly labelled. :-)  But then,
I don't really need more than say 10 trapezoids/sec---any faster than
that and I don't make it out of the first room in Original Doom. :-)