Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

On 11/4/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:32:08 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > Basically, I'm on the look-out for a reasonable solid-state music
> > player
>
> Well, what do you need in the way of features?
>
> 1. Audio codecs? e.g. MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, FLAAC, etc.

Ogg vorbis would be nice but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
fact that only very few manufacturers provide that codec.

MP3 is the de facto standard nowadays (more's the pity) and LAME is a
pretty good encoder - better than bladeenc for example.

I came to the same conclusion. I used to rip all my cds in ogg and play them on my roi karma until it died. Then I went with a sansa e260 ( 6 or 8gb flash device ) . It doesn't do ogg but does all the more mainstream codecs. However the best part is that you can just copy files across to it ( mounts as a FAT drive ) and it reindexes its database when you disconnect the USB cable. So its usable from any os and you can control the file structure on the device. They've been out for a while but only recently in Japan. Cost is a little less than an equivalently sized nano.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sandisk_Sansa_MP3_players/e200