Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

On 11/4/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
Now, I've heard conflicting pieces of information regarding the iPod
nano. Some say that it is recognized as a straightforward usb-storage
device and that you can simply cp the files over to the filesystem
(vfat or hfsplus depending on the iPod) on the device. Others say that
you can copy stuff until you're blue in the face but it'll never play
if the iPod isn't told (via the proprietary software) that what you're
copying is to be played. Yet others (but I think they must be mistaken)
have said that it won't play back anything that doesn't have any DRM
crap in it.

Oh, there are a lot of "opinions" I see.

I have an Ipod Nano 4GB.  Here is my experience:

For the filesystem, at the beginning it was hfsplus, because the first
computer I connected it to was a mac.  So when I connected it to my
linux box I had some problems:  I couldn't repair the filesystem after
I corrupted it (by removing the ipod while it was connected, without
properly unmounting it first...).

So I switched to vfat.   It was not straightforward because I have no
windows machine, but I found enough info on the web to help me do
that.  Since then, no problem.

For the music, I tested only two types of files: mp3 and ogg.  Mp3 is
ok, and ogg is not.  I have no DRMed music (and don't intend to own
any in the following 50 years or so), so I don't know about that.

For transferring music, a simple copy to the ipod won't do, because
you need to update the music database on the ipod.  On linux there is
the software Gtkpod to do this, much in the same way as itunes.  Works
fine for me, although it is a bit rough on the edges compared to
itunes.

The searches I ran all seemed to turn up results on how to install
Linux on the iPod rather than how to connect an iPod to a Linux
computer.

I contemplated doing this because I would really like the ipod to play ogg files, but haven't tried yet. As the website of ipodlinux states, it is not yet fully supported for the nano.

Hope this helps,

Evan