Re: [tlug] iPod nano and Linux

Dave Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:21:54PM +0100, Godwin Stewart wrote:

>>> Well, what do you need in the way of features?
>>>
>>> 1. Audio codecs? e.g. MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, FLAAC, etc.
>> Ogg vorbis would be nice but I've pretty much resigned myself to the
>> fact that only very few manufacturers provide that codec.
>>
>> MP3 is the de facto standard nowadays (more's the pity) and LAME is a
>> pretty good encoder - better than bladeenc for example.

Hello,

I just picked up a Creative Microphoto (8GB, MP3) for 9,000[1] yen on
Saturday. Works well with Linux once you follow one of the many gnomad2
howtos on the net.

My wife has a Creative Zen (6GB, MP3) which worked with Linux straight
out of the box as it was detected as a simple USB storage device.

On the codec front I have been using MP3s for such a long time now that
my library is sufficiently large enough to make transcoding to ogg a
PITA event. However, I did think of doing so until I went shopping for a
decent ogg capable player...

Regards, Keith

[1] The shop was having a closing down sale so this little device was on
sale from 28,000 yen :-)