Re: [tlug] PHP in Japan.

Romans Malinovskis wrote:
> I've been there, I've created one [1].  However there are no testing
> framework, flexible libraries or even default template parsing system.
> PHP also does not support anything which would live longer than one
> request out of the box. PHP is bare bones. Ruby on Rails positioned
> itself as toolset which can be used out of the box, which have
> templates. I've seen that it's easy to develop a blog on ROR, but is it
> really what the people had in mind when they developed the concept?

If you want to understand what ROR is all about read "Patterns of
Enterprise Application Architecture" by Martin Fowler.  The book has no
mention of rails but it describes the design patterns used in rails.

> Anyway - you shouldn't compare ROR with PHP. Compare it with Drupal[2]
> or with my library.
> Once done correctly the situation seems more favorable for PHP.

Drupal[2] claims to be a content management platform, i.e. something you
could build with rails.  I couldn't tell from looking at the source of
your framework, does it have support for building a domain model or
object relational mapping.  These are things that rails makes easy.

> [2] http://drupal.org/ (see the modules section)

Edward