Re: [tlug] PHP in Japan.

Not sure if this will be of any use or not. But I attended a talk on Ruby
on Rails a couple months ago. I was a little unclear about how it worked
or didn't work with php, but it seems to be similar in technology while
offering a lot more. It was also supposed to be very friendly to php
programmers.

The thing is it's a two part system. Ruby is a Japanese language similar
to PHP and Rails is an American devleopment for streamlining web design
projects. Together they are supposed to work very well as an overall
development package. The orginal implementation of Rails was to work with
PHP, but PHP didn't go far enough and Ruby was found to be a very good
match.

The thing is I think you are probably more likely to find Ruby and Ruby on
Rails jobs in Japan. The coding differences are supposed to be arround the
level of differences between perl and PHP although it looks like a lot
more OO based to me.

Ruby on Rails certainly did a lot of hiss. While PHP grew up from mixture of Perl and C it wasn't
really pretending to be a Object Oriented language. This was changed in PHP5 where they took
a giant leap towards several concepts taken from Java such as exceptions, class manipulations,
destructors making it possible to create a decent library. I've been there, I've created one [1].
However there are no testing framework, flexible libraries or even default template parsing system.
PHP also does not support anything which would live longer than one request out of the box.
PHP is bare bones. Ruby on Rails positioned itself as toolset which can be used out of
the box, which have templates. I've seen that it's easy to develop a blog on ROR, but is it
really what the people had in mind when they developed the concept?

Anyway - you shouldn't compare ROR with PHP. Compare it with Drupal[2] or with my library.
Once done correctly the situation seems more favorable for PHP.

As for the language of choice, each language have it's own niche. If you are building a blog,
use ROR, if you want to build a banner exchange engine, combine fast- cgi with C (or C++) with
PHP and MySQL, if you are writing online accounting software - use PHP with my library, if you
are writing online banking software - use Java. Each approach is different and depends on your
specific and requirements one might be better than other.

Therefore you can't call Ruby on Rails and PHP similar. It's like debates whether VIM or Emacs is better.
Each have it's own purpose - one is text editor and other is a LISP interpretator.

[1] http://adevel.com/amodules3
[2] http://drupal.org/ (see the modules section)

regards