Re: [tlug] Large Disk on Old Hardware.

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 02:07:32 +0900
"Greg Thomson " <gregt@example.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 00:15:31 +0900, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess the large disk howto would answer all your
> > questions...even those you haven't asked yet
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html
>
> Thanks for the link but this is actually the very document that is causing
> me some confusion.
>
> It contains a lot of references to older kernel versions and work arounds
> for them. I would like to find out what is current.

As large disks are not much of a problem anymore (save for
the 128/132GB limit), the document hasn't been updated
for a long time. But you can assume that most the workarounds
needed for older kernels are not necessary anymore.

I assume that the only problem you will have is to first
load a kernel. If you are past that step, then the kernel
will take care of anything else.

I suggest you to use grub instead of lilo, as its way of
accessing the disk is less dependend on the bios than lilo's
way of doing it (actualy, there is IMHO no good reason left
for using lilo unless you are really thight on space and
need every kByte you can get).

				Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu