[tlug] Large Disk on Old Hardware.

Greetings All,

I'd like to install an 80GB hard drive in an old (soon to be ex) Win98 system and am in need of some help.

The plan is to turn this old machine into a file server (samba) and local IMAP server (Dovecot) for my parents home network. I won't be setting up the system until December when I visit them for Christmas but thought I'd better start checking things out now.

As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that old BIOSes don't recognize the full capacity of large hard disks. The limit depends on the generation of the BIOS, but provided /boot is located within the portion of the disk recognized by the BIOS the kernel can boot. The bootloader can pass the true geometry of the disk to the kernel. The kernel can then access all of the disk. Is that right?

While I think I understand the theory I'm not clear on how to put it into practice.

There seem to be a number of kernel options that have changed as kernel support has developed. From what I've read support in recent kernels is good. What boot time options are appropriate? Should I use append to give drive geometry?

What BIOS settings are needed? LBA?

What about formating issues?

Is the manufacturer of the disk drive important?

A lot of the material I have read mentions LILO as the boot loader.
Are things different under GRUB?

I am planning on using Xubuntu as the distro.

Any adivce, personnal expereinces, tips, greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,

Greg.