Re: [tlug] Large Disk on Old Hardware.

On 10/1/06, Greg Thomson <gregt@example.com> wrote:
I'd like to install an 80GB hard drive in an old (soon to be ex) Win98
system and am in need of some help.

As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that old BIOSes
don't recognize the full capacity of large hard disks. The limit depends
on the generation of the BIOS, but provided /boot is located within the
portion of the disk recognized by the BIOS the kernel can boot. The
bootloader can pass the true geometry of the disk to the kernel. The
kernel can then access all of the disk. Is that right?

Whatever can and cannot be done to get around a BIOS that doesn't
recognize a large drive is one issue, but with a few old Dells that
I've set up, it was quite simple to get a BIOS update from Dell's site
and then the BIOS worked fine for the 120GB drives I put in in place
of the 6GB drives the computers came with - for whatever OS.

Lyle