Re: [tlug] Large Disk on Old Hardware.

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:36:46 +0900, "Greg Thomson " <gregt@example.com>
wrote:

> As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that old
> BIOSes don't recognize the full capacity of large hard disks.

You are right, but the Linux kernel couldn't give a sh*t about
deficient disk BIOSes because it replaces them wholesale.

As long as your *kernel* is in an area of the disk that's accessible to
the BIOS (I always have my /boot partition in the first few cylinders),
you'll be able to boot into Linux and use the whole 80GB disk because
from that point onwards it's Linux driving the disk, not the disk BIOS.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Tomorrow is cancelled due to lack of interest.