Re: [tlug] Open Discourse v Private Replies followed by a Public Summary . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Re: OT Posting)

On 13/09/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

I used to feel as you do. I've come to value open discourse more.
When a summary is posted, information is lost.
What seems unworthy of mention to the summarizer,
may be an important clue to somebody else.

True, but there is also the signal-to-noise ratio to consider. That is
where summaries come in handy. But, as you say:

It would be good for person with the problem to follow up with a
note on the solution, which could be a summary, but this would
be in addition to, not in place of public discussion.

For TLUG, I think this is the perfect model: public threads, wherein
the OP summarises the steps he took to get to the solution at the end.
Let me put forth Dave M G as an excellent example:

http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0605/msg00092.html
http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0605/msg00077.html
http://tlug:archives@example.com/ML/0604/msg00532.html

Cheers,