Re: [tlug] XEmacs: How do you switch between 'buffer tabs'?

    Al> 	I hate replying to myself but it seems xemacs is far
    Al> smarter than the author of this email.

Highly unlikely. :-)  The buffers tabs are a "proof-of-concept" that
got into the distribution "as is" because nobody felt like doing
anything more friendly with them.

    Al> Right after sending the email I decided to experiment more and
    Al> it seems just switching between buffers (C-x C-b) did the
    Al> right thing and switched to the correct tab instead of load
    Al> the buffer into the current buffer tab I was in.

That's right.  You might also want to look at the
`switch-to-next-buffer' family (M-End, M-Sh-End, M-Home, M-Sh-Home).

What actually is the case is that when the EmacsFrame ("X window") is
redisplayed, the frame-specific list of buffers is checked, and if it
has changed, the tabs are redrawn.  If you click on a tab, it invokes
a callback from X to `switch-to-buffer'.  This puts the new current
buffer at the head of the list, XEmacs recognizes the change,
redisplays the tabs, and it all Just Works.  :-)

What this algorithm means is that the tabs will contain the
most-recently-used buffers that satisfy a filter (currently the only
available filter is "having the same major mode").

But that's all there is :-( so feel free to report what you consider
bugs and inconveniences, and request enhancements.  Just use M-x
report-xemacs-bug (also for enhancements; being less than perfect is a
bug ;-).  I don't promise that anything will get done fast, but the
requirements for tab functionality are quite vague, and it's really
hard to decide what would be enough of an improvement to justify
further work on the tabs.  A few user reports might cause somebody to
itch, and you know what happens to itches!

Oh, and if you can think of anything else that might be useful to have
in tabs besides buffers, let us know.