[tlug] SD card reader not reading SD cards

TLUG,

Thanks to everyone for helping me come to terms with the successes and failures of my first attempt to build a kernel.

Here is another issue, which I am not sure if it is related to the kernel upgrade, although the timing is a little too coincidental.

It seems that since the kernel upgrade, my SD card reader is no longer reading SD cards.

First, let me say a little about my SD card reader. It's internal, but I believe that it is connected by USB, with the wires simply being on the inside of the box instead of the usual external USB outlets. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's the case. It's capable of reading a few different formats of cards - SD cards, Memory Sticks, and I can't remember what else. It has about 4 slots that accomodate 7 or 8 different cards.

I pretty much only use it to read SD cards (when it was working, with the previous kernel). And mostly that's for copying MP3/OGG files to an SD card for playback on my Palm.

So... since the kernel upgrade, when I pop in an SD card, it doesn't show up on my desktop. The card is still readable on my Palm Pilot, so I assume this means the card is not at fault. I've tried 3 different cards, with the same result

Naturally, I thought this might be an issue similar to my IVTV and ip_tables problem where I didn't enable them in the kernel.

I took a look in xconfig, and there's "MMC/SD Card Support", in which it's pretty much all enabled, except for "Debugging Output". And then in "USB Support | USB Mass Storage support", the 10 or so options there are all enabled. In fact, pretty much everything under USB support is enabled. I also looked in "File Systems", but again, that's just about all enabled as well*.

So I'm not sure if either I'm not finding the right options in the .config file, if there is a related but different category of driver that I need to enable, or if maybe it's nothing to do with the kernel at all.

Also, because I think it might be related: I have a Cowon iAudio MP3/OGG portable player that plugs into the USB port and is recognized as a mass storage device. It still shows up on my desktop and works as usual. I thought it worth mentioning because it seems to indicate that the SD card reader problem is not a general mass storage or USB problem, but something more specific.

* Please not that when I say "just about all enabled", that means that all except maybe one or two options are enabled, and the ones that aren't look very obscure and unlikely to be related. For example, the "USB Gadget Support" has "File-backed Storage Gadget testing version", which even says in the description "Not needed for normal operation". However, as ever, it should be noted that I really have no idea what I'm doing and mistakes about what is relevant or not are likely.

Thank you for any advice on how to diagnose or fix this problem.

--
Dave M G