Re: [tlug] VMWare/Virtualserver free

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Micheal" == Micheal E Cooper <Micheal> writes:

Are there any advantages of VMWare over Xen?  It looks like Xen beats
VMWare on all benchmarks except price (if you get the version of
VMWare that works, you also get to pay a much higher price; isn't that
nice?)
The number of supported guest OSes under Xen seems lower than VMware which I guess is understandable considering VMware emulates a whole machine versus the hypervisor approach of Xen.

One criticial factor is the ease of installing Windows on Xen? From what I've read [1], trying to get Windows to run on Xen still requires a little bit of work. The latest release does not support an easy way to get Windows running. You have to pull the latest code from the Xen source code repository and build your own version. With VMware (not sure on VMware player) installing WIndows is rather trivial.

But if you don't need Windows or <insert some random OS with no Xen support> at all, then Xen seems to be a better choice.

Alain

[1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-06/msg00452.html