Re: [tlug] VMWare/Virtualserver free

Gerald Naughton wrote:
Hi
Microsoft announced that Virtual server is free and
VMWare seems to be free as well

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/linuxguestsupport/default.mspx

I`ve never used them yet
I had a try with VMWare server last week on a Ubuntu Dapper machine and managed to screw up my machine enough that I required a reboot (most likely my fault since I was getting impatient with VMware server hanging). That's not to say VMware server doesn't work. But from my personal experience of trying to get it working with Ubuntu Dapper seemed to require a little bit more finagling. I'm not sure if the problem was:

1. I've ran update a few times to make sure all the packages were up to date with security 2. (1) caused a newer kernel to be installed which VMware hasn't been extensively tested with 3. Some other setting that I have is causing VMware server to be very unhappy.

Hopefully, other TLUG members have had more luck with it than I have. Perhaps it's better to use it with suse or Redhat.

If the Microsoft offering is based on Virtual PC, I'm not interested. My experience with Virtual PC is that it's slow and almost unuseable for my needs.

Alain