Re: [tlug] More SCIM: European lang input?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
If you want your keyboard to generate the Extended Latin characters
directly, you're going to need to switch the keyboard to a layout that
supports them.  Japanese layouts are not going to do that---they're
going to be designed for generating kana---and I don't see why you
would expect them to do so.

Conceptually, you should be able to tell XKBD that you have a Japanese
set of keycodes, and that you want the Level 3 keysyms generated to be
drawn from the Latin set just by including a couple of files in a
keyboard definition.  The reason you can't do that is that nobody has
bothered to factor the kana out of the Japanese keysym definition
file.  If you've done something that, why don't you just submit it to X.org?

My problem with using the system was basically that there are to many steps, switch from Japanese->Icelandic means changing layout to Japanese and switching scim-anthy on. (i.e. the fact that I have to manage two systems to handle a single function).

But you are right, in order to get the system to work I had to remove the kana definition from the Japanese file (I am relatively new to Linux and Xorg, but the kana definition seemed to get in the way of switching between Japanese layout and Icelandic). Then I needed to modify the Icelandic layout to map some missing keys from the Icelandic layout to the 106key Japanese one. I couldn't exclude that someone else might need the kana input so I felt it would be to bold to demand it's removal and I wasn't sure what caused the kana input in the Japanese layout file to not work correctly with other keyboards to submit a fix.

My ideal situation is to use japanese layout for English/Romaji and scim-anthy for kana/kanji input, and then switch to Icelandic for Icelandic typing. In windows this was a one stroke operation, and the system is integrated, that is if I switch to Icelandic layout the input method editor goes away. On the up side, with Xorg I could edit the keyboard to map the missing keys (like the one between Z and SHIFT) to other unused keys. This I couldn't do on Windows and is yet another reason why I am happy to be here :)

BAB