Re: [tlug] More SCIM: European lang input?

Had a similar problem since I need to type Japanese, English and Icelandic on regular basis.

As far as I know, you need to activate the keyboard layout for the European language you wish to type, switch SCIM to the English keyboard layout and then you should be able to type the language in question. If you find that you are just getting japanese kana, or that you can't type certain keys since they are at non-existing locations on your japanese keyboard then you have a problem, one which I solved by hacking the x keyboard files. Should you need help with that drop me a note.

I have to admit that this marriage between keyboard layout and input method could take some hints from the Windows way of doing it, seems a bit of a mess as it is. After modifying the keyboard layout files to suit my needs I get by fine though.

If someone knows another way, I'd love to hear that too.

BAB

David J Iannucci wrote:
I've recently set up SCIM with anthy and am very happy with
it for Japanese input (as I've said in another post)....

Now I'd like to enter some European characters with diacritics,
such as are used in French, German, etc, and also a few phonetic
characters (mainly schwa).  I looked all through SCIM's menus,
but can't seem to find a way to do this.  I must already have
whatever software I need (at least for the Euro letters), no?

I've tried all the keyboards, etc in SCIM, tried setting my
locale (LC_ALL=), to no avail.

Can someone give me the clue I need? :-)  Oh, it's SUSE 10.1.

Thanks,
Dave