Re: [tlug] Remote Backups and Command Line Stuff

On 金, 2006-07-07 at 10:36 +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> There's a way to do it that doesn't involve wasting space with a local
> tarball:
>
> tar -zcp /home/joe | ssh remotemachine "cd backup; cat > backup.tar.gz"

If you're going to do a backup, I would think you'd want the original
files, rather than a tar file on the remote machine. In that case you
would do:

tar -jcp /home/joe | ssh -l remotelogin remotemachine "tar -jxfv \
-C /somedirectory"

It seems I also used -O in the first tar command and - in the second tar
command to indicate stdout and stdin, but it seems that these are the
defaults now.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- s-luppescu <AT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  www.consortium-chicago.org