Re: [tlug] Adjusting screen resolution in Debian

Evan Monroig wrote:

I have never met a video card that doesn't support VESA (ok, I'm
young..), and what I usually do when I don't find the appropriate driver
is tell xfree86 (or xorg) that it is a vesa card. Is that unsafe? If the
card functions at 1024x780 under windows, I would think that it supports
VESA.

Times change and one man's safe is another man's support nightmare. If you asked me 5+ years ago about using VESA I'd probably have far more negative comments about defaulting to that than I would now.

Which is to say, even with wacky Japanese devices (and their drivers too) VESA is a rather safe option to fall back on these days.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the NoBrainer device option for [Xx]{free86,org} but I have no idea when that will come out.

Alain