Re: [tlug] Something is eating my disk space

Stephen, Jim, Bruno, Josh, Godwin, Edwin, Michael,

Thank you for your advice.

I used the following commands, and cross referenced their results to try and hunt down possible large files:
find . -type f -ls | awk ' { s += $7 }; END {print "Total size is ", s}'
find / -mount -type f -size +100M -ls
find / -mount -size +100M -exec du -h {} \;
du -kx --max-depth=5 ./ | sort -n -r | head -25

I found one directory of a defunct web site that had somehow avoided being deleted, a couple of email files for accounts that I didn't need that were about 20 MB each, and some archived files of applications that were no longer needed.

But, all told, I was able to clean up only about 100 to 150 MB of space. There's still 400 to 450 MB of disk usage that I can't find.

As one person suggested, it may be a matter of hundreds of little tiny files and directories that are hard to assess collectively. There certainly don't seem to be any huge 100 MB log files or anything like that.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

--
Dave M G