[tlug] Something is eating my disk space

TLUG,

On my web hosting service, I have about a gig of space for storage. Ordinarily, I have nowhere near that much data in my web sites as I don't keep a lot of multimedia there. At most, it's maybe one or two hundred megabytes.

But recently I saw an error on one of my web sites that says "disk quota exceeded". I logged into the web interface for the system control panel and it says that I have about 1.1 gigs of data stored.

I haven't uploaded anything that could account for this overflow of stored data. I suspect it's something like a default mail account soaking up spam, or maybe some kind of log file that's being appended to constantly. But, despite my attempts to hunt around both the web interface for the control panel and also within directories for the command line, and I can't see anything big enough to be a problem.

Are there some commands I could run at the prompt that could help me locate files or directories that are over a certain size?

Does anyone have any tips as to what might be the culprit?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Dave M G