Re: [tlug] Not understanding how updated kernels work

Shawn, Botond, Edward,

Sorry for the confusion I've caused, and thank you for responding.

In explaining the issue with the video card, I was simply trying to give the reason why I went back to my previous kernel version. I wasn't seeking help on getting the video card to work. I apologize for being unclear.

My main concern here is with using a slightly older kernel for Ubuntu Dapper when receiving updates. I just want to make sure those updates aren't going to be confined to the older kernel version or cause some other problems that I'm not aware of.

The advice I'm getting seems to indicate that the kernel is separate enough from drivers and applications that I need not worry.

Which raises another question. If I can hold at kernel 2.6.8.1-16.20 without causing problems with future updates, does that mean I can also roll back to a previous kernel?

I ask because installing Dapper was kind of a mistake that I'm living with only because it seems like such a hassle to re-install anything else given all the configuration and set up that I've already gone through.

But if I could get Ubuntu 5.10 running on my system without having to create a new partition, and keep all my relevant files in my /home/dave directory, that would be nice.

--
Dave M G