Re: [tlug] Not understanding how updated kernels work

> I rebooted, and discovered that X would not start. I'm helpless in a
> command line interface, so this was quite a problem.
>
> It wasn't a complete surprise, mind you. My video card is very new, and
> I had to get drivers direct from Nvidia in order to get X working at all.
>
> I tried running the Nvidia driver install utility again, but it
> complained it could not find nvidia.ko in the right place or something,
> and wouldn't work.

Just to confirm, you have the kernel sources correct?

When I've upgraded to a new kernel in the past, I needed the kernel
sources.  That was for fedora.  I think though that you need to build a
new kernel module for a new kernel until someone gets around to
packaging one - and that requires the kernel sources.

I see though for debian they suggest taking out the install utility
(which you reported failure when trying).  See for instance
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/nvidia.htm

not sure how Ubuntu differs though.

Shawn