Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

    >> What do you get from "lpadmin -p Canon -v /dev/usblp0" now?

    Dave> It returns nothing at all.

I'm not intimately familiar with CUPS, but that doesn't seem right.
You should get some response.

    >> What does "ls -l /dev/usblp0" tell us?

    Dave> dave@example.com:~$ ls -l /dev/usblp0
    Dave> crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 2006-04-15 02:56 /dev/usblp0

At least it exists.

    Dave> Is not having an AuthType a good thing? A bad thing?

The AuthType directive turns on authentication and indicates what
kind.  In general this is a good thing but configuration is
complicated.  Better that it be off now.  Nor do you really need it.

    >> Forlorn hope, but what do those say?

    Dave> Not a heck of a lot:

You're right.

    >> My feeling is that your USB port is not being identified
    >> correctly to CUPS, and it can't find your printer.

    Dave> That sounds like a good theory. Does anything here indicate
    Dave> where the confusion is, or is there more information I can
    Dave> provide to diagnose this?

Josh's advice is basically what I'd give.  Read dmesg.  Tail the
syslog, and plug the printer in and out and see what it says about the
device as the kernel notices it.