Re: [tlug] Quoting (& Saving important info)

    Lyle> Why use a footnote down out of site, forcing people to waste
    Lyle> time scrolling up and down the page when you can put it into
    Lyle> parenthesis

Because I expected nobody but you to care, actually.  The point of a
footnote is that it is *not* important enough to put in the main
text.

    Lyle> One issue that has not been gone into at all - is the issue
    Lyle> of valuable and informative information that is attacked by
    Lyle> lawyers because it embarrasses their clients

What about it?  As you say, "that's debatable" in any given case.  As
a matter of policy, is it preferable to allow more slander and libel?
In this case, I agree, people should stick up for their rights.  But
it's not obvious that stifling the lawyers as a general principle is a
good idea.

    Lyle> People are threatened, they become afraid, they take the
    Lyle> page down, and since there were nothing but links to the
    Lyle> page, the info is lost to the world.

Like it or not, *freedom is bought with the blood of patriots.*  Been
there, done that, got the lawyer letter (actually, Jeff Friedl did;
not sure why I didn't, it was my box that was serving all the pages).
Turned out there was a loophole 'specially for us, we didn't even have
to hire a lawyer. :-)

So steal the information.  That's we thought we were doing.  I just
think it's best not to make excuses, and don't do it if there's any
way to avoid it.