Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding

Stephen,
OK, we have a permission problem somewhere, but it is very strange
(and worrying, if your printer is on a network) that "Cancel All"
works where "Cancel One" doesn't.
My printer isn't available on a network. It's just me with my one computer, and the printer connected by USB.
What do you get from "lpadmin -p Canon -v /dev/usblp0" now?
It returns nothing at all.

What does "ls -l /dev/usblp0" tell us?
dave@example.com:~$ ls -l /dev/usblp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 2006-04-15 02:56 /dev/usblp0

    Dave> # Set the default printer/job policies...
    Dave> <Policy default>
    Dave>  # Job-related operations ...
    Dave>  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job ...
    Dave>    Require user @example.com @example.com
    Dave>    Order deny,allow
    Dave>  </Limit>

OK, it's these <Policy> controls that you want.  But that one seems to
allow you to do what you want.  And there's no AuthType in the
<Limit>.
Is not having an AuthType a good thing? A bad thing?

    Dave> # Include files in /etc/cups/conf.d
    Dave> Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
    Dave> Include /etc/cups/cups.d/browse.conf

Forlorn hope, but what do those say?
Not a heck of a lot:
dave@example.com:~$ more /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
dave@example.com:~$ more /etc/cups/cups.d/browse.conf
Browsing off
My feeling is that your USB port is not being identified correctly to
CUPS, and it can't find your printer.
That sounds like a good theory. Does anything here indicate where the confusion is, or is there more information I can provide to diagnose this?

--
Dave M G