Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:48 +0900, Alain Hoang wrote:
> Joseph Essertier wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > Side since I'm getting the impression that their service is a little
> > better, and they might be able to help me with the compatibility
> > questions. I'm not looking for a real high end machine, nor for an entry
> > [snip]
> >
> Help with compatibility questions. That's a good one :-) I guess I'm too
> hard-boiled and bitter to expect any of the friendly but mostly clueless
> 店員さんs in many of the stores I frequent to be able explain to me if
> this MPEG-8 Voodoo Super Duper HDTV with blender remote control has
> Linux support for Kernel 2.6.20.patch-patch-patch-branch but I'm glad
> someone else is glad to ask. I tend to just buy it and play russian
> roulette. Far more fun that way (until it breaks).

I usually ask because if they are prepared to say yes it probably has
drivers in the vanilla kernel.  From asking I know that dospara doesn't
support anything but windows, and user side says it will work with
Redhat Linux, and when they say that they don't mean what DELL means
when they say it will work with Redhat Linux.  One thing to note about
Users Side is that they won't give you more then a years warranty.
dospara will give you 3 years if you pay extra.  As goes with all
hardware purchases don't take anything anyone has said for granted,
confirm everything.

Edward