Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 20:44 +0900, Joseph Essertier wrote:
> Hello.  I need to start working at home, so I'm in the market for a
> GNU/Linux compatible desktop and I'm wondering if there is an easy way
> to find one.  It does not need to have Windows on it, but that would
> be a plus.

As a general rule buy generic hardware, the driver support is usually
better.  A lot of the systems makers like DELL really only make windows
machines.  The last two computers I got were from dospara[1] and
users-side[2].  DOS-para sells cheap white box systems under the prime
name which seem to be mostly generic hardware.  They won't be able to
tell you anything about Linux support though.  User side sells more high
end systems, and they tend to know whether it is supported under Linux.

Edward

1. http://www.dospara.co.jp/top/
2. http://www.users-side.co.jp/