[tlug] Openness of Papillon

Michael Engel wrote:

> The access

access (ala Google?) or source code?
Papillon's statement seems poorly worded.

> will be free of charge for non commercial use

Which usually implies not free for commercial use. Bummer.

> (Open Source license).

This may or may not be so. It deserves scrutiny.

The notice on the web page says:

  (c) 2001-2003 Mathieu Mangeot, NII & Gilles S?rasset, GETA-CLIPS. All rights reserved.

Bugger! That doesn't sound very open.

I found a license at:

   http://www.papillon-dictionary.org/ConsultInformations.po?docid=1427055&docLang=eng

It doesn't get off to a good start. The first sentence seems to confuse
subject and object. I don't see the license listed at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

 2. a) says: The modified work must itself be a dictionary data.

so if one finds a nice new novel use for the data,
one may not distribute it. That does not sound very open.

Section 3 allows one to opt to redistribute under GPL.
That sounds much more open. I'm relieved.
Nonetheless, their license deserve further scrutiny.
It's too bad they didn't use an OSI license.